It’s time to name the best music videos of 2008. There were a lot. My initial list was comprised of 44 videos – I’ve cut the list down to my top 25. Unlike my list for 2007, I haven’t put the videos into categories. Instead, I’ve just got my list from #25 to #1. Here we go…
25. Lykke Li and Bon Iver – Dance Dance Dance
It’ll make you feel warm inside. Who doesn’t like that?
24. Devendra Banhart – Carmensita.
23. Thunderheist – Jerk It
Incredibly sexy. The build is impressive (and I mean that in so many weird ways).
22. Feist – I Feel it All
Check out the stick-ignited-fireworks. It’s a symphony of sparks. Rad.
21. The Mae Shi – Run to Your Grave
Not much to say here. It’s just very entertaining.
20. Lil Wayne – A Milli
It may be my favorite song off of Tha Carter III and the video is equally enjoyable. Wayne’s hip hop persona really comes out in this video more than any other I have seen.
19. Buddy System – Return to Horse Mountain
The western/[spoiler]unicorn theme is, well, epic.
18. Utah Saints – Something Good ’08
2008’s “should have been” theme set in 1989.
17. The Tough Alliance – Neo Violence
This video is particularly 80s in tone, but it doesn’t take on the tired, lazy approach so many indie videos seem to have taken as of late.
16. Kanye West – Love Lockdown
A visually stimulating video (I guess that’s what a music video should be).
15. Radiohead – House of Cards
First of it’s kind video methods put this one on the list.
14. In Our Talons – Bowerbirds
(I’m getting tired of explaining. Who really cares, anyway?)
13. Bjork – Wanderlust
12. Terry Lynn – System
11. The Chemical Brothers – Midnight Madness
The ending ties this one all together making it one of my favorite videos of the year.
10. Portishead – We Carry On
9. Beyonce – Single Ladies
8. Passion Pit – Sleepyhead
7. Goldfrapp – A&E
6. Buraka Som Sistema – Sound of Kuduro
5. Gnarls Barkley – Going On
4. Hot Chip – Ready for the Floor
One of my favorite albums of the year produces one of my favorite videos.. yippee.
3. Santogold – L.E.S. Artistes
2. She & Him – Why do you let me stay here?
For some reason this video made me think “Beetlejuice“.. anyone else?
1. The Arcade Fire – Neon Bible
Okay, I’m probably a bit biased when it comes to this one, but the reason I loved this video so much is because of how iconic Win Butler comes off during these short 2 minutes and 17 seconds.